The entire craft show experience is a whirl wind. The days leading up are stressful and the moments talking with customers are sheer bliss just because you were able to get this far.
I'm writing this to remember the people I met. These are my people, my neighbors and friends, and likely a reflection of any local community. They're quirky and opinionated, they will support you and they will be honest with you.
So here are 10 quotes from people I met at the my very first Craft Fair - may you be blessed to have people as encouraging, supportive, and entertaining.
1. "You should draw Charlie Puth" - 14 year old wild child says as she looks my display up and down "and Selena Gomez"
2. "Don't talk to her she's crazy" - her 8 year old sister says nonchalantly as she walks by
3. "I've never seen a journal with badminton on it before" - a middle aged woman contemplates whether or not she's enthralled or perplexed
4. "Those are called shuttlecocks" - My friend's mom states matter-of-fact-ly completely out of nowhere.
5. "I met a young girl selling art, she's not as good, but she'll get better" A craft fair veteran says to me (I want to stress that she said this in a polite way that was meant to compliment me on the differences in our displays and not our artwork)
6. "I follow you on Facebook and I contacted you to see if you sold online and you said you don't yet but you'd be here at the fair. I came here just for you" - says the woman who melted my heart and then bought 5 sets of cards
7. "You made out so well!" - exclaims the vendor across from me who was at her second craft fair ever. (when I told her most of my people were my family I think she was a little relieved since it had been such a slow day. She also told me I would do great in the future.)
8. "Do you take suggestions?" Me: "Yes" "Draw TURTLES!" - My brother's girlfriend and her dad because his other daughter loves turtles.
9. "These are... cute, adorable, creative, fun, different, good" - All the people I overheard passing by my booth when I was chatting with customers and friends.
10. "I'm so proud of you" - My boyfriend, my grandmother, my uncle, my aunt, my friends. (This one will always mean the most)
Putting yourself out there and selling your work face to face is scary, but its also truly rewarding and the best way to get to know your potential customers. If you're thinking about working a show, even at your local school fair, I say go for it! - And keep track of what people say because you'll want to remember these moments, trust me.
Do you have any memorable craft fair moments? Share them in the comments below!
Until next time,